So as promised I worked on a rather large project this weekend. When I was touring my apartment, there was a pair of French doors that were in the opening between the living room and the den. I liked the possibilities we had with those. Well, when I moved in last November the doors were not there. It turns out the people that were living there moved to my landlord’s building next door with the same layout and took the doors with them. So I had a big two door sized opening. That was all well and good, but when we started watching movies in the morning on the weekend the glare on the TV was intense.
And thus a project was born.
And this is what that wall has looked like for the last 8 months:
Initially for this project I had a lot of ideas and simple fixes. We’ve been in the apartment long enough that we knew we needed to be able to use that space if we wanted, but block out the sun when we wanted a dark movie atmosphere as well.
I thought about just getting a tension rod and a set of curtains, but I did that in my apartment in college and the curtains would often get wrinkled, or stay closed for long periods of time and I didn’t think it fit our space.
I also thought about using a room divider screen. The problem is those can get expensive and most of them weren’t tall enough. I liked a few but I also felt like I didn’t know where I could store it when we weren’t using the divider.
And of course I thought about just recreating the door look all together. But the cheapest doors that would look appropriate in the space were $140.00 each. I understand now why my neighbors held onto theirs.
So for a while I was at a standstill, I knew I wanted a way to cover up the opening, but also leave it open. Then I started seeing all these sliding barn door tutorials popping up online.
Add that to my love for loft apartments with exposed brick walls and you then have the inspiration I needed.
I’m going to make a sliding brick wall.
Yep it sounds crazy. And after the amount of work John and I put into it, it is crazy.
Now I was inspired by the many bloggers I’ve seen who have made that faithful trip to Lowe’s to buy sheets of faux brick Masonite. And I like them did the exact same thing.
But I am an equal opportunity home improvement store shopper so we also went to Home Depot for a number of finishing touches.
Now I’m going to show you what this looks like. And if you want to endeavor in this project it is going to be in a few parts because there is a lot going on: distressing brick,building a frame and hanging a sliding barn door.
This isn’t the thriftiest project I’ve done either. The price for the 2 sheets of brick Masonite, and the regular Masonite cost about 80 dollars. Plus the amount it cost for the other materials was about another 80 so we are looking at a $160 dollar sliding wall project. But if you compare that to the very large price tag on the sliding barn door kit : http://www.amazon.com/NW-Artisan-Hardware-NW-1-Sliding/dp/B00A2BZRZK $230.00 I feel like I saved a little. Plus that track is only 6 feet and mine is 10. And I got to make it brick. So there.
Next up how to distress faux brick. (the Crafty Cobra way)
And this project called attention to how empty those walls are! I’ll be filling those up with art soon!